Dark Arts

 



It seems we face the unpleasant prospect of yet another quarantine 'lockdown' period because of the rising COVID-19 infection rates. Hopefully we'll get to Christmas first.

I can't help but reflect on how art helped me get through previous lockdowns (I've lost count...will this be the 5th?!)


Having loved creating things as a child, I lost the 'spark' sometime during my teens...probably replaced by something I thought would be more likely to impress girls! I found it again during the first lockdown.

I'm not entirely sure how it happened. I remember finishing an extremely long shift (my day job is with the National Health Service) and feeling utterly exhausted. At the time every day consisted of work/sleep/repeat, without any sense of achievement, and there was no end in sight. It was one of the low points, of which there were many. I sat at my desk doodling, doodling turned into sketching, and sketching turned into...this


It was the first of many, as I found art giving me a sense of achievement again, as well as being a means of expressing some very difficult emotions. I'd often have an idea for a piece during the day and I couldn't wait to sit down at my computer and turn that idea from a concept into something real. It gave me something to look forward to. It still does.

So, as we stare into the abyss of yet another lockdown, if you're a creator keep creating, and if you're not already creating why not try? It can really help.


Stay safe everyone.


Comments